Thursday 12 January 2012

Handwriting effect inspiration

I came across 'The Streets' album 'Original Pirate Material' and really liked the idea of using handwriting to display the names of the songs on the album.
This is the back of the album cover and I think that the handwriting effect is really nice. It is unusual and slightly abstract opposed to a neat, typed appearance which is what I would like to use for my album cover. From seeing this, I looked back on the designs I have already for the front of my album and I think a signature of 'Rob Young' has potential to look good. Therefore, I scribbled down some different styles of writing 'Rob Young'

I also took some pictures of them close up so I had a better view of them which enabled me to choose a hanful which I thought might work well. I liked the thickest ones the best and I also thought the scruffy ones would look better than the others.

I then opened these images in Adobe Photoshop to see what I could do with them to make them suitable for the digipack, this is what I came up with:


I selected the writing only so I was able to put it onto one of my album designs. I realise there is a lot of work to be done to this to finalise it and make it look professional, however I think I will stick to the idea of using handwriting!
 I will probably not use this image for the front cover of the album, however this comparison is just to show why I prefer the handwriting oppsed to the text. I want the overall look of the character to be 'messy' and I want him to look as though he doesn't look after himself. I got this idea from the message the song brings which is how he has troubles in his life etc and I think the handwriting shows this.

No comments:

Post a Comment